Antivirus software is used to detect, prevent, and remove malware. Many types of this destructive code exist in our world today and Solution 32 is here to help keep your company safe.
- Fraud Tools
- Malicious Browser Helper Objects
- Malicious Layered Service Providers which hijack and reroute traffic
- and emerging new variants
Computer and network security products which include protection from social engineering techniques is commonly offered by antivirus software companies. Different software is used for the prevention and removal of malware threats.
A variety of strategies and processes are typically employed. No matter how useful antivirus software can be or is intended to be there is always the possibility that drawbacks can develop. Antivirus software can impair a computer’s performance, especially if the computer cache is not cleaned regularly and proper maintenance, upgrades and updates are not applied regularly. Inexperienced users may also have trouble understanding the prompts and decisions that antivirus software presents them with. An uninformed or incorrect decision may lead to a security breach and disaster.
Some methods of antivirus detection:
- Heuristic detection – success depends on the right balance of false positives and false negatives. False positives can be as destructive as false negatives and create impossible looping boot procedures, rendering an operating system unusable.
- Signature detection – involves searching for and detecting already known patterns of data within executable code. New malware, for whom no signature code is known, can still infect a computer and go undetected. This is where heuristic detection methods become useful. Generic signatures are employed to identify new viruses and infecting variants of existing viruses. These generic signatures look for known malicious code plus variations of known code in files. This method of detection runs the file in a sandbox to analyze if it performs an malicious actions and to predict bits of malicious behavior.
- Cloud based antivirus – a relatively new technology that uses basic or lightweight software on the protected computer, while deploying the main bit of data analysis to the provider’s infrastructure, usually a network cloud, using several antivirus engines which operate simultaneously. Scanning of files using multiple potentially incompatible antivirus scanners is achieved by the usage a virtual machine per detection engine and therefore eliminating any possible issues. Cloud based detection rescans all files in its file access history whenever a new threat is perceived or a signature potentially identified. This vastly improves new threat detection speed.
- Network firewalls – prevent unknown programs and processes from accessing the network system. Network firewalls are not antivirus systems and make no attempt to identify or remove anything. Their primary purpose is to block outside intrusion and protect against infection from beyond the protected computer or network. Network firewalls have the ability to limit activity of any malicious software which is present by blocking incoming or outgoing requests on assigned TCP/IP ports. Network firewalls are designed to deal with large system threats that come from network connections into the system. Having a network firewall is not an alternative to a virus protection system – it is only a cog in the overall protection wheel.
What damage can be done by viruses and malware and why is protection important?
Viruses and malware are capable of widespread destruction of operating systems, hard drives, information, and data. Not only can these infectious bits of code bring down a single computer, they can crash an entire network or an entire corporate network structure. Data, information and machines can be completely destroyed or made partially inoperable. Many of these malicious bits of code are extremely damaging.
This is only one of many reasons – but perhaps the most important – why you should seriously consider a professional service provider who understands and is able to implement complete protection across the board for your company. Not only re-active protection is important but mostly pro-active protection – to ensure that your corporate network, data and systems are protected to the maximum plus updated with the latest releases, upgrades and virus signatures at all times.
Isn’t the company that you worked so hard to build worth that sort of protection? Contact Solution 32 LLC today for a virus, malware and security evaluation and detailed quote of services that can save your business!